It is my hope that Beyond the Crater will become the best resource for books about the Siege of Petersburg on the web. This page lists the main books covering the battles and the overall campaign of Petersburg. In addition, you will be able to find a “Bibliography” section on almost every battle summary page, unit page (from armies down to regiments and batteries), and leader biography page on this site.
Books on the Siege of Petersburg
Note: More books are coming soon!
Siege of Petersburg Overviews
- The Petersburg Campaign Volume 1: The Eastern Front Battles June-August 1864
- The Petersburg Campaign Volume 2: The Western Front Battles September 1864-April 1865
- Petersburg 1864-65: The longest siege by Ron Field
- The Last Citadel: Petersburg, Virginia, June 1864-April 1865 by Noah Andre Trudeau
- The Petersburg Campaign: June 1864-April 1865 by John Horn
Other Petersburg Related Materials
- Civil War Talks: Further Reminiscences of George S. Bernard and His Fellow Veterans
- Dear Friend Amelia: The Civil War Letters of Private John Tidd
- Letters Home to Sarah: The Civil War Letters of Guy C. Taylor, Thirty-Sixth Wisconsin Volunteers
- No Freedom Shrieker: The Civil War Letters of Union Soldier Charles Biddlecom
- Papers of the Military Historical Society of Massachusetts, Vol. 5
- Papers of the Military Historical Society of Massachusetts, Vol. 6
- Papers of the Military Historical Society of Massachusetts, Volume 14
- The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1
- Into The Crater: The Mine Attack at Petersburg by Earl J. Hess
- Remembering the Battle of the Crater: War as Murder by Kevin M. Levin
- The Petersburg Campaign: The Battle of the Crater “the Horrid Pit” June 25-August 6, 1864 by Michael Arthur Cavanaugh
- The Petersburg Campaign: The Destruction of The Weldon Railroad: Deep Bottom, Globe Tavern, and Reams Station: August 14-25, 1864 by John Horn
- Combat 2: Union Infantrymen Versus Confederate Infantrymen: Eastern Theater 1861-65
- Fort Harrison and the Battle of Chaffin’s Farm: To Surprise and Capture Richmond by Douglas Crenshaw
- Richmond Redeemed: The Siege at Petersburg by Richard J. Sommers
- The Confederate Alamo: Bloodbath at Petersburg’s Fort Gregg on April 2, 1865 by John J. Fox III
- The Final Battles of the Petersburg Campaign: Breaking the Backbone of the Rebellion by A. Wilson Greene
- Blue & Gray Magazine, Vol. XXVIII, No. 5 (2012): Action on Petersburg’s Western Front, March 25, 1865
- The Battle of Five Forks by Ed Bearss and Chris Calkins
- Regimental Histories
- Union Regimental Histories
- Confederate Regimental Histories
Check out TOCWOC – A Civil War Blog for more great Civil War content!
What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.
Want to read some interesting Civil War content from amateurs and pros alike? Check out the Top 10 Civil War Blogs and Top 10 Civil War Blogs: 11-20.