August 7, 1864
The (FINAL) Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, Campaign, as Maj. Gen. Philip Henry Sheridan, USA, moves against the Confederates under Lieut. Gen. Jubal Anderson Early, CSA, and his cavalry commander, Maj. Gen. Lunsford Lindsay Lomax, CSA.
The Middle Military Division (Middle Dept. and the Dept. of Washington, of the Susquehanna, and of West Virginia) is constituted, (to be known as the Army of the Shenandoah) and Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, is assigned to its temporary command, VA, as Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, orders Maj. Gen. Sheridan to clear the Shenandoah Valley of Rebels once and for all.Engagement at Oldfields, near Moorefield, WV, as Brig. Gen. William W. Averell’s, USA, cavalry overwhelms Lieut. Gen. Jubal A. Early’s, CSA, cavalry under Brig. Gen. John McCausland.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #227: Reports of Captain Jacob Roemer, 34th NY Btty, Aug 1-Oct 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #236: Reports of Colonel Michael Kerwin, 13th PA Cav, commanding 2/2/Cav/AotP, Aug 1-20 and Oct 26-27, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #358: Diary of the First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia Aug 1-Oct 18, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- LT: August 7, 1864 James P. Elliott (1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery)
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: August 7, 1864
- DI: August 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- LT: August 11, 1864 Clement E. Warner (36th Wisconsin)
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania