September 22, 1864
The Battle of Fisher’s Hill, VA, as Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, inflicts serious damage to Lieut. Gen. Jubal Early’s, CSA, forces of the Shenandoah, as Maj. Gen. George Crook, USA, flanks Early and causes a panic and rout as Early’s men flee up the Shenandoah. Total casualties approximate 1,750.
Skirmish at Milford, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Maj. Gen. Edward O. C. Ord, USA, resumes command of the 18th Army Corps, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #8: Reports of Major Nathaniel Michler, Acting Chief Engineer, AotP, September 17-November 14, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #12: Reports of Major Benjamin F. Fisher, Chief Signal Officer, AotP, August 1-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #246: Reports of Captain Henry R. Clum, Signal Corps, Chief Signal Officer, AotJ, Sept 1-Oct 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: September 22, 1864
- NP: September 23, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, September 21-22
- LT: September 26, 1864 Samuel K. Miller
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- NP: October 4, 1945 Baldwinsville NY Messenger: 185th New York at Petersburg, Part 1
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania