September 23, 1864
Skirmish at Edenburg, VA, as small parcels of the armies under Early and Sheridan toss bullets back and forth here and the following during the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign:
-Skirmish at Front Royal, VA.
-Skirmish at Mount Jackson, VA
-Skirmish at Woodstock, VA.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #8: Reports of Major Nathaniel Michler, Acting Chief Engineer, AotP, September 17-November 14, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #10: Report of Surg. Thomas A. McParlin, U. S. Army, Medical Director, Army of the Potomac, August 1-December 26, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #12: Reports of Major Benjamin F. Fisher, Chief Signal Officer, AotP, August 1-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: September 23, 1864
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- NP: October 4, 1945 Baldwinsville NY Messenger: 185th New York at Petersburg, Part 1
- NP: October 21, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: Co. K, 208th PA Arrives at the Siege of Petersburg, Late September 1864
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania