≡ Menu

OR XL P1 #29: Report of Major George W. Scott, 61st NY, June 12-July 30, 1864

No. 29.

Report of Major George W. Scott, Sixty-first New York Infantry.1

August 9, 1864.



June 12, left the breast-works at 8 p. m.; marched (as skirmishers), via Dispatch Station and Long Bridge, to the James Fiver, near Wilcox’s Wharf. Arrived there at 4 p. m. June 13; went into position and threw up breast-works; bivouacked.


+For portion of report (here omitted) covering operations from May 3 to June 12, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p. 378.


June 14, crossed the James River on transports at 11 p. m. Halted on south bank of James River.

June 15, marched toward Petersburg, Va.: halted about 2 a. m. June 16 about two miles from the front.

June 16, moved forward at daylight and formed line on the left of Fifth New Hampshire Volunteers; moved to the right about 4 p. m.; charged at 5 p. m. over rough and difficult ground, gaining a position about 400 yards from the rebel lines; threw up breast-works and remained all night. Lost 15 men this day.

June 17, no movement.

June 18, 7 a. m., advanced about a mile toward Petersburg, the enemy having evacuated the position; built breast-works in edge of woods; remained all day and night.

June 20, relieved by troops of the Ninth Corps and marched to the rear about three miles; bivouacked in reserve.

June 21, 8 a. m., marched to the left across the Jerusalem plank road toward Reams’ Station; deployed as skirmishers on right of Eighty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers, were shelled severely, and lost several men; about 6 p. m. were relieved and moved with the division about a mile to the rear and went into position; bivouacked.

June 22, 9 a. m., moved to the front and halted until about 1 p. m.; then moved forward about one-quarter mile beyond front line of breast-works, countermarched at double-quick, and manned the breast-works. The enemy charged about 3 p. m., and after a hard fight of nearly two hours he was repulsed with great slaughter. Lay in the breast-works all night.

June 23, moved to the left about half a mile; no engagement.

June 24, advanced a short distance and commenced building breast works; before they were completed moved a short distance to the left and remained all night.

June 25, moved about one-quarter of a mile to the rear and bivouacked.

June 26, no movement.

June 27, went into camp a short distance to rear, remained until June 29, 10 a. m.; moved to the left and occupied breast-works and remained until July 1, 9 a. m.; moved back into camp and remained until July 9, 12 p. m.; moved about three miles to the left and went on picket in front of Williams’ house.

July 12, moved about one mile to the rear and bivouacked; 3 p. m., marched to near Reams’ Station; returned same night.

July 13, moved to present position and encamped; remained in camp until July 26, 3 p. m.; marched to the right, crossed Appomattox about 8 p. m.; crossed the James River about 10 p. m., at Deep Bottom, and bivouacked.

July 27, moved forward and deployed on picket-line; withdrawn at 9 a. m. and rejoined the brigade; bivouacked.

June 28, placed in support of picket-line; remained during the night.

July 29, 7 p. m., returned to south side of Appomattox River.

July 30, 4 a. m., formed line on Eighty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers in rear of Ninth Corps; not engaged; moved to present camp.

Respectfully submitted.

By order of Major George W. Scott:

First Lieutenant and Adjt. Sixty-first New York Volunteers.

Captain G. H. CALDWELL,
Assistant Adjutant-General.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1 (Serial Number 80), pages 341-342
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply