July 19, 1864
Skirmish at Ashby’s Gap, VA, as Lieut. Jubal A. Early, CSA, moves his command toward Winchester.
The Engagement at Berry’s Ford, VA.
Brig. Gen. John H. Martindale, USA, is in temporary command of the 18th US Army Corps, vice Maj. Gen. William F. Smith, USA, is relieved of command, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XL P1 #34: Report of Major Gustavus A. Seidel, 7th NY (Veteran), July 19-30, 1864
- OR XL P1 #171: Report of Captain William A. Harn, 3rd NY Btty, June 13-July 31, 1864
- OR XL P1 #173: Report of Captain William B. Rhodes, Btty E 1st RI Lt Arty, June 13-July 29, 1864
- OR XL P1 #227: Report of Asst. Surg. Elias J. Marsh, 2/Cav/AotP, July 19-30, 1864
- OR XL P1 #235: Report of Lieutenant Colonel George A. Purington, 2nd OH Cav, June 13-July 24, 1864
- OR XL P1 #248: Report of Captain Gustavus S. Dana, Signal/X/AotJ, July 1-31, 1864
- OR XL P1 #295. Diary of the First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, June 16-July 31, 1864
- OR XL P1 #302: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, June 16-July 31, 1864
- George S. Gove Letter: July 19, 1864
- NP: July 14, 1902 New Orleans Times-Picayune: Donaldsonville Cannoniers at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 5
- CENTURY V32 N01: General W. F. Smith in Reply to General Grant
- CENTURY V32 N05: General Grant’s Reasons for Relieving General William F. Smith by J. B. Erhardt
- CENTURY V33 N01: Comments on “General Grant’s Reasons for Relieving General William F. Smith” by W. F. Smith
- 150 Years Ago Today: Baldy Smith Sacked, July 19, 1864
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: July 19, 1864
- NP: September 27, 1964 Petersburg Progress-Index: Siege Centennial, Part 29: When Endurance Was Heroic
- DI: July 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- NP: July 30, 1864 Cape Ann Light and Gloucester Telegraph: Co. D, 32nd MA, Mid-July 1864
- NP: July 20, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, July 18-19
- NP: July 21, 1864 Richmond Examiner: Telegraphic Reports, July 19-20
- NP: July 22, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, July 18-21
- NP: July 23, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The Situation at Petersburg, July 19-22
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania