September 4, 1864
Skirmish at Berryville, VA, as Lieut. Gen. Jubal Early, CSA, pulls his forces back up the Shenandoah Valley, with Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan, USA, in hot pursuit.
Maj. Gen. John Gibbon, USA, is in temporary command of the 18th US Army Corps, the Petersburg, VA, siege lines, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #12: Reports of Major Benjamin F. Fisher, Chief Signal Officer, AotP, August 1-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #17: Reports of Major General Winfield S. Hancock, commanding II/AotP, August 12-October 28, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #324: Report of Colonel Josiah Pickett, 25th MA, June 18-Dec 16, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #363: Reports of Brigadier General Archibald Gracie, Jr., commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 17-Sept 7 and Nov 12, 1864
- NP: October 27, 1869 Washington PA Reporter: 140th Pennsylvania at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 5
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: September 4, 1864
- NP: September 5, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, September 3-4
- NP: September 5, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The Situation at Petersburg, Sept. 1-2, 4
- NP: September 7, 1864 Richmond Examiner: Rosser’s Cavalry Brigade at Ream’s Station, August 25
- NP: September 7, 1864 Richmond Examiner: From Petersburg, September 4
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania