September 3, 1864
The Engagement near Berryville, VA, where Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, compels the Confederates under Lieut. Gen. Richard H. Anderson, CSA, to retreat toward Winchester, VA, as his army corps was enroute under order to join the Confederate lines at Petersburg, VA, under Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Affair near Sycamore Church, near Richmond, VA, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Action at Bunker Hill, WV, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #17: Reports of Major General Winfield S. Hancock, commanding II/AotP, August 12-October 28, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #305: Reports of Lieutenant Colonel Richard H. Jackson, AIG and Arty/X/AotJ, Sept 3 and Oct 7, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #343: Reports of Major J. Stannard Baker, 1st DC Cav, Aug 9 and Sept 3, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #363: Reports of Brigadier General Archibald Gracie, Jr., commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 17-Sept 7 and Nov 12, 1864
- NP: May 20, 1908 St. Johnsville NY News: John Reardon Diary (115th NY): August 18-September 25, 1864
- 150 Years Ago Today: Affair Near Sycamore Church: September 3, 1864
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: September 3, 1864
- NP: September 5, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, September 3-4
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- The Siege of Petersburg in Early September 1864 by Bryce Suderow
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania