September 21, 1864
Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, is assigned to permanent command of the Middle Military Division, VA.
Skirmish at Fisher’s Hill, VA, as both Lieut. Gen. Jubal A. Early, CSA, and Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, dig in.
Skirmish at Front Royal, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Skirmish at Strasburg, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #12: Reports of Major Benjamin F. Fisher, Chief Signal Officer, AotP, August 1-October 31, 1864
- Plan of Defensive Works at Harrison’s Landing, Sept. 21st, 1864 (OR Atlas 67:4)
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- NP: August 04, 1902 New Orleans Times-Picayune: Donaldsonville Cannoniers at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 8
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: September 21, 1864
- NP: September 23, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, September 21-22
- LT: September 21, 1864 Luke Ostrye
- LT: September 21, 1864 “J. H. C.” (1st NY Engineers)
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- NP: October 14, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: 76th PA and McClellan, September 21, 1864
- NP: October 14, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: 110th PA and The Election of 1864
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania