August 30, 1864
Brig. Gen. George Crook, USA, is assigned to the command of the Dept. of West Virginia, vice Maj. Gen. David Hunter, USA, is relieved.
Skirmish near Smithfield, WV, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #12: Reports of Major Benjamin F. Fisher, Chief Signal Officer, AotP, August 1-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #17: Reports of Major General Winfield S. Hancock, commanding II/AotP, August 12-October 28, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #167: Report of Captain Henry H. Fish, 94th NY, Aug 18-Sept 2, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #223: Report of Captain Edward J. Jones, 11th MA Btty, Aug 1-Nov 5, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #224: Report of Captain Edward W Rogers, 19th NY Btty, Aug 1-Oct 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #228: Reports of Captain Samuel H. Rhoads, Btty D PA Lt Arty, Aug 1-Oct 28, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #238: Report of Captain George C. Eckert, 2nd Pa Cav, August 1-31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #363: Reports of Brigadier General Archibald Gracie, Jr., commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 17-Sept 7 and Nov 12, 1864
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: August 30, 1864
- NP: September 5, 1864 Richmond Examiner: McIntosh’s Battalion at Ream’s Station, August 25
- DI: August 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- CIR: 5-P-17 Harris’ Brigade August 30, 1864
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania