September 7, 1864
Skirmishes near Brucetown and near Winchester, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, USA, resumes the command of the Army of the James, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XL P1 #244: Reports of Colonel Henry L. Abbot, 1st CTHA, commanding Siege Train, June 14-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #17: Reports of Major General Winfield S. Hancock, commanding II/AotP, August 12-October 28, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #44: Report of Major Richard Moroney, 69th NY, August 12-October 30, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #363: Reports of Brigadier General Archibald Gracie, Jr., commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 17-Sept 7 and Nov 12, 1864
- NP: October 27, 1869 Washington PA Reporter: 140th Pennsylvania at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 5
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: September 7, 1864
- CLARK NC: 18th North Carolina at the Siege of Petersburg
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania