September 12, 1864
Brig. Gen. Joshua Blackwood Howell, USA, is critically wounded near Petersburg, VA, where he suffers a fall from his horse, dying two days later on Sept. 14, 1864.
Joshua Blackwood Howell, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
President Abraham Lincoln notifies Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant of his dismay over Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s lack of progress in the Shenandoah Valley.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XL P1 #244: Reports of Colonel Henry L. Abbot, 1st CTHA, commanding Siege Train, June 14-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #14: Report of Brigadier General Henry W. Benham, commanding Eng/AotP and Defenses of City Point, August 1-November 19, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #17: Reports of Major General Winfield S. Hancock, commanding II/AotP, August 12-October 28, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #44: Report of Major Richard Moroney, 69th NY, August 12-October 30, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #225: Report of Lieutenant Peter L. Moore, 27th NY Btty, Aug 1-Oct 27, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- OR XLVI P1 #1: Report of Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant, commanding U.S. Army, March 1864-May, 1865
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: September 12, 1864
- NP: September 13, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, September 12
- NP: November 18, 1964 Petersburg Progress-Index: Siege Centennial, Part 33: Railroad With A Purpose
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- The Siege of Petersburg in Early September 1864 by Bryce Suderow
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania