March 23, 1865
President Abraham Lincoln departs from Washington, D.C., with his wife and son, to confer with Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, USA, at City Point, VA, outside Petersburg, VA.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLVI P1 #4: Itineraries of the Army of the Potomac, Sheridan’s Cavalry Command, and the Army of the James, January-April 1865
- MAP: Gordon’s Plan for Fort Stedman: March 23, 1865 (Battle of Fort Stedman, Hodgkins, 1889)
- EXCERPT: Planning the Battle of Fort Stedman, March 1865 (John B. Gordon’s Memoirs)
- LT: March 23, 1865 Samuel K. Miller
- LT: March 23, 1865 Robert E. Lee
- 150 Years Ago Today: Planning the Battle of Fort Stedman: Mid-February to March 23, 1865
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: March 23, 1865
- ITINERARY: 48th North Carolina