February 22, 1865
Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA, laid optional plans to retreat to Burkeville, VA, and unite with the Confederate forces in North Carolina if he was forced to leave his defensive position around Petersburg and Richmond, VA.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLVI P1 #4: Itineraries of the Army of the Potomac, Sheridan’s Cavalry Command, and the Army of the James, January-April 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #6: Reports of Bvt. Col. James C. Duane, Engineers/AotP, Jan 14-Feb 25, 1865
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: February 22, 1865
- LT: March 2, 1865 Luther Rice Mills (26th Virginia)
- ITINERARY: 48th North Carolina