≡ Menu

OR XL P1 #104: Reports of Captain A. Judson Clark, Btty B 1st NJ Lt Arty, June 12-July 30, 1864

Numbers 104. Reports of Captain A. Judson Clark, Battery B, First New Jersey Light Artillery.1



Just after dark on the eve of the 12th [June] withdrew from the works and took up position near the wood on road leading to corps headquarters, where I remained until 12 o’clock, when marched with Second Division toward the Chickahominy. Reached Chickahominy River about noon on the 13th, and after remaining until the bridge was taken up marched to near Charles City Court-House. 14th, moved down to bank of James River, and on the morning of the 15th crossed the river and marched with Gibbon’s division to near Petersburg, putting my battery into position at 2 a. m. on the morning of the 16th, near Battery Numbers 8 of the rebel line of works. Engaged at different times during the day. 17th, heavy fighting nearly all day on our left and front. 18th, the enemy’s works in our front assaulted several times during the day. In p. m. I was placed in position in the corn-field about 600 yards in front of my former position on the meadow near the City Point railroad. 19th, slightly engaged. 20th, in eve marched with Second Division about one mile and a half from corps headquarters to the left and went into camp. 21st, marched to the left, striking the Jerusalem plank road about four miles from Petersburg; marched up the road about two miles and went into position near the edge of the woods. In eve built works on the brow of the hill in front and went into position at 3 a. m. on the 22d. About 2 p. m. the enemy attacked the left, and


*For portion of report (here omitted) covering operations from May 12 to June 12, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p. 521.


turning the position drove the troops back on the right and right center of the corps. I immediately opened fire on the enemy’s batteries that were firing, throwing solid shot, case, and shell, and succeeded in drawing the greater part of their fire from the infantry to my battery and sustained a very heavy fire for the greater part of the afternoon. During the latter part of the afternoon I sent one section of the battery about 150 yards to the rear and placed it in position near the road to check any further advance of the enemy in that direction, as at one time it was feared that it would be necessary, and the guns that were left in the work could protect the ground in their front. Fortunately, however, they were not required in that position. At 10 p. m. the battery was relieved and moved back to near corps headquarters, on the plank road. 28th, went into position on the part of the line occupied by General Birney’s division, where the battery is at present. My loss in killed and wounded during these engagements has been small, 2 killed and 4 wounded.

I am, colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Captain, Commanding Battery B, First New Jersey Light Arty.

Colonel J. C. TIDBALL,

Chief of Artillery, Second Corps.

LIEUTENANT: I have the honor to report the following as the part taken by my battery in the movement across the James River July 27 to 30:

In the afternoon of July 27 broke camp, and during the night following marched to near Jones’ Neck, and bivouacked near the James River, where I remained until the 30th, when I returned to near Petersburg with the reserve batteries of the corps, and went into camp.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Captain, Commanding Battery B, First New Jersey Artillery.

Lieutenant U. D. EDDY,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, Artillery Brigade, Second Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1 (Serial Number 80), pages 431-432
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply