The Department of Richmond, mainly concerned with protecting the Confederate capital from secondary Union forces earlier in the war, was faced with front-line duty throughout the Petersburg Campaign. This department, led by former 2nd Corps commander Richard S. Ewell, was mainly charged with occupying the fortifications east and southeast of Richmond during the Petersburg Campaign. Gary’s Cavalry Brigade performed much good duty east of the capital by providing advanced warning of Union thrusts north from Bermuda Hundred and then northwest or west towards Richmond.
The Orders of Battle below are listed in chronological order, using the shorthand, three-digit, multiple letter “code” George Nafziger devised to organize all of the thousands of OOBs he copied from various sources. In addition to this code, the actual title of each Order of Battle is shown below in order to allow the reader to quickly scan to the order of battle he or she wishes to view.
- 864ebe: Abstract Return Department of Richmond 10 May 1864
- 864ech: Confederate Forces Department of Richmond 31 May 1864
- 864jbb: Confederate Forces Department of Richmond 31 October 1864
- 864kan: Confederate Forces Department of Richmond 30 November 1864
- 864lbg: Confederate Forces Department of Richmond 31 December 1864
- 865abb: Confederate Forces Department of Richmond 20 January 1865
- 865ba: Confederate Artillery Defenses on the James 3 February 1865
- 865bj: Confederate Forces Department of Richmond 28 February 1865