January 29, 1865
Brevet Major General Nelson A. Miles resumes command of First Division, Second Corps, Army of the Potomac after his return from a leave of absence.
Artillery skirmish between Union Battery 5 and a Confederate Battery at Goose Neck.
Reconnaissance to Riddell’s Shop by the 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry.
Scout to White’s Tavern on the Charles City Road by the Captain Paul of the 5th Pennsylvania Cavalry.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- ITINERARY: 48th North Carolina
- LT: January 29, 1865 Robert E. Lee
- LT: February 1, 1865 Samuel K. Miller
- OR XLVI P1 #4: Itineraries of the Army of the Potomac, Sheridan’s Cavalry Command, and the Army of the James, January-April 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #180: Returns for the Army of Northern Virginia, Jan 10, 26-31, 31, Feb 10, 20, Feb 24-Mar 1, 1865
- ORN XI: Abstract log of the U. S. S. Hunchback, Lieutenant Joseph P. Fyffe, U. S. Navy