January 27, 1865
The Federals capture and refloat the Confederate torpedo boat, Scorpion, on the James River, below Richmond, VA.
Major General Gouverneur Warren returns to the Siege of Petersburg and his command of Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Brevet Major General Samuel W. Crawford gives up temporary command of Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac, and resumes command of Third Division, Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- ITINERARY: 48th North Carolina
- NP: August 11, 1902 New Orleans Times-Picayune: Donaldsonville Cannoniers at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 9
- OR XLVI P1 #4: Itineraries of the Army of the Potomac, Sheridan’s Cavalry Command, and the Army of the James, January-April 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #180: Returns for the Army of Northern Virginia, Jan 10, 26-31, 31, Feb 10, 20, Feb 24-Mar 1, 1865
- ORN XI: Abstract log of the U. S. S. Hunchback, Lieutenant Joseph P. Fyffe, U. S. Navy