September 5, 1864
Federal reconnaissance to Sycamore Church, outside Richmond, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Maj. Gen. David B. Birney, USA, is in temporary command of the Army of the James, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- 150 Years Ago Today: Reconnaissance to Sycamore Church: September 5-6, 1864
- DI: September 1864 John D. Vautier (88th PA) Diary Entries
- ITINERARY: 85th Pennsylvania
- LT: September 5, 1864 Henry F. Young (7th Wisconsin)
- LT: September 5, 1864 Benjamin Wright (10th Connecticut)
- NP: October 27, 1869 Washington PA Reporter: 140th Pennsylvania at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 5
- NP: October 7, 1894 Charleston (SC) News and Courier: A Brilliant Cavalry Coup
- NP: November 1, 1908 Charleston (SC) News and Courier: Butler and His Cavalry
- NP: February 25, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 3
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #12: Reports of Major Benjamin F. Fisher, Chief Signal Officer, AotP, August 1-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #17: Reports of Major General Winfield S. Hancock, commanding II/AotP, August 12-October 28, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #247: Reports of Bvt. Major Peter S. Michie, Corps of Engineers, Acting Chief Engineer, Aug 1-Dec 20, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #337: Report of Colonel George W. Lewis, 3rd NY Cav, September 5-6, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #363: Reports of Brigadier General Archibald Gracie, Jr., commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 17-Sept 7 and Nov 12, 1864