October 17, 1864
Affair at Cedar Run Church, VA, the Shenandoah Valley Campaign.
Lieut. Gen. James Longstreet, CSA, is ordered to resume command of his army corps, the Richmond, VA, Campaign, after recovering from battle wounds received at the Wilderness in May, 1864.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- NP: August 04, 1902 New Orleans Times-Picayune: Donaldsonville Cannoniers at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 8
- NP: October 27, 1864 Harrisburg Patriot and Union: Letter from a True Soldier
- LT: October 17, 1864 Theodore Lyman
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: October 17, 1864
- NP: October 19, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, October 15-18
- NP: October 21, 1864 Philadelphia Inquirer: Army of the Potomac, October 17-19
- NP: March 4, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 4