March 11, 1865
Federal expedition from Fortress Monroe aboard steamers, into Westmoreland County, VA, with skirmish (Mar. 12) near Warsaw, VA, and with the destruction of all Confederate property of any value. 3/11-13/1865.
Skirmish as Goochland Court-House, VA, as Maj. Gen. Philip Henry Sheridan, USA, threatens Richmond, VA.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLVI P1 #4: Itineraries of the Army of the Potomac, Sheridan’s Cavalry Command, and the Army of the James, January-April 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #7: Report of Bvt. Lieutenant Col Nathaniel Michler, Acting Chief Engineer, AotP, March 11-18, 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #176: Reports of Bvt. Major Peter S. Michie, Chief Engineer, Army of the James, Feb 4-Mar 18, 1865
- LT: March 11, 1865 Willis J. Watts
- LT: March 11, 1865 Theodore Lyman
- LT: March 11, 1865 Samuel K. Miller
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: March 11, 1865