June 1, 1864
Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan’s, USA, Cavalry, using Spencer repeating rifles, repels both attacks led by Maj. Gen. Richard H. Anderson, CSA, near Old Cold Harbor, VA.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XL P1 #137: Report of Lieutenant Colonel Charles E. La Motte, 4th DE, June 1-30, 1864
- OR XL P1 #247: Report of Captain Lemuel B. Norton, Chief Signal Officer, June 1-July 30, 1864
- NP: December 9, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: 55th PA at Bermuda Hundred, Second Petersburg and Chaffin’s Farm, May-November, 1864
- ORN Series 1, Vol. X: Correspondence of Rear-Admiral S. P. Lee and Major General Benjamin F. Butler Regarding Obstructions for James River May 11-June 7, 1864
- NP: February 18, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 2