January 8, 1865
The naval fleet under Rear-Admiral David D. Porter, USN, and the transport fleet containing the expeditionary forces against Fort Fisher, arrive at rendezvous off Beaufort, NC.
Maj. Gen. Edward O. C. Ord, USA, assumes command of the Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, as well as the Army of the James, vice Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, USA, relieved from command.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLVI P1 #4: Itineraries of the Army of the Potomac, Sheridan’s Cavalry Command, and the Army of the James, January-April 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #9: Reports of Bvt. Brigadier General Henry L. Abbot, 1st CT HA, commanding Siege Train, Jan 1-Mar 31, 1865
- LT: January 8, 1865 Robert E. Lee
- LT: January 8, 1865 Samuel K. Miller
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: January 8, 1865