January 31, 1865
Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA, is appointed General-in-Chief of all the Confederate Armies; a promotion too late in coming to have any effect.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLVI P1 #2: Abstract from Tri-Monthly Returns, showing PFDE, US Army, Jan 31, Feb 28, Mar 20, Mar 31, and Apr 10, 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #4: Itineraries of the Army of the Potomac, Sheridan’s Cavalry Command, and the Army of the James, January-April 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #177: Reports of Lieutenant William R. King, Corps of Engineers, Acting Chief Engineer, Army of the James, January 1-31, 1865
- OR XLVI P1 #180: Returns for the Army of Northern Virginia, Jan 10, 26-31, 31, Feb 10, 20, Feb 24-Mar 1, 1865
- LT: January 31, 1865 Robert E. Lee
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: January 31, 1865