December 24, 1864
Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, USA, resumes the command of the Army of the James, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #9: Reports of Major General James C. Duane, Corps of Engineers, November 13-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #248: Report of Lieut. William R. King, Corps of Engineers, Acting Chief Engineer, AotJ, December 24-31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- 150 Years Ago Today at Petersburg: December 24, 1864
- CLARK NC: 42nd North Carolina at the Siege of Petersburg