≡ Menu

OR XLVI P1 #120: Report of Lieutenant Colonel John G. Parr, 139th PA, March 25, 1865

No. 120. Report of Lieutenant Colonel John G. Parr, One hundred and thirty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations March 25.1

March 25, 1865.

SIR: In compliance with orders I have the honor to forward the following report of the operations of the One hundred and thirty-ninth:

About daylight of the 25th I received orders to pack up and be ready to move at a moment’s notice. Soon after another order came to fall in and move off, which was done, the regiment moving right in front in the direction of Fort Stedman, when we then moved by the left flank until we reached Fort Keene, where we were halted and remained until 2 p.m., when the brigade moved to the left of Fort Fisher, where we halted, my regiment being on the right and the One hundred and second Pennsylvania Volunteers on my left. At 3 p. m. according to orders, I followed the One hundred and second, and marched left in front, passing through the line of works, and advanced by the flank about 300 yards, and formed a line of battle connecting left with the One hundred and second, where we remained until 4 p.m. when we moved 500 or 600 yards to the right by the right flank, and again halted, resting my left near the white house, opposite Fort Fisher, where we soon after charged the enemy’s picket-works, carrying them. My right connected with the First Maine Veteran Volunteers. The line, after a short rest, advanced to the crest of the hill;

here halted a short time, engaging the enemy, and after a short rest advanced and drove the enemy into the main works, afterward falling back to the crest of the hill, and then threw up works. About 12 o’clock at night my command was marched back to camp, leaving pickets to cover the front of my right and over it, driving the enemy into their main works. There being no connection on the right or left, the regiment was compelled to fall back to this side of the hill, where they halted, and after a short rest threw up works, and remained in that position until ordered back to camp, where the regiment arrived between 12 and 1 o’clock that night; the regiment being in command of Lieutenant Colonel John G. Parr until near dark, when he was wounded and left the field and I then took command.*

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Regiment.

Captain E. A. TODD,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.


*So recorded in regimental letter-book, but Lieutenant-Colonel Parr signed the report. Major James McGregor appears to have been the next in command.



  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLVI, Part 1 (Serial Number 95), pages 303-304
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply