≡ Menu

OR XLVI P1 #207: Report of Lieutenant Colonel Josiah Hall, 1st VT Cav, Mar 27-Apr 9, 1865

No. 207. Report of Lieutenant Colonel Josiah Hall, First Vermont Cavalry.1

April 16, 1865.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the regiment since the 27th ultimo:

On the 27th and 28th remained in camp in front of Petersburg. The 29th we moved out from before Petersburg, marched all day toward the left, and encamped near Hatcher’s Run. The 30th, it being a very rainy day, we marched but a short distance, assisting, however, during the entire day, the wagon trains by repairing the road, &c. The 31st remained in camp until 12 m., while we again repaired the roads. At 12 m. moved out, repairing and building roads, and encamped late on the Vaughan road.

On the 1st of April left the train to rejoin, with the brigade, the division; participated in the fight near the Five Points; captured several prisoners, losing 5 men wounded, and several horses killed: followed up the enemy until a late hour, when we went on picket for the balance of the night. April 2, moved out at 9 a.m. toward the railroad. We held the advance, met, the enemy, and drove them; remained on picket and skirmish line while the rest of the division was destroying the railroad. At 1 p.m. moved again; crossed the railroad at Poplar Station and encamped for the night. April 3, moved out early toward George’s Creek, where the enemy was found disputing the crossing. We drove him by flanking him, and kept up a lively march until we reached Namozine Church. Here we were strongly engaged with the enemy; charged and driven him eight miles, capturing 100 prisoners, 100 horses, 1 gun, several ambulances, &c., losing 2 men killed and 6 wounded. Encamped this night near Deep Creek. April 4, crossed Deep Creek, marched all day and encamped ten miles from Amelia Court-House; moved out from this place at 12 the same night and reached Jeter’s Station at 9 a.m. the following day. April 5, moved to the left of the Fifth Corps; remained in line of battle all day; at 5 p.m. moved back about two miles and encamped for the night. April 6, moved to the right, marched all day and encamped near Sailor Creek. April 7, moved out early, passed through Prince Edward Court-House and encamped near Chickentown. April 8, marched hard all day; reached Appomattox Station at 6 p.m.; had a severe fight with the enemy; captured 6 guns, 12 wagons, 7 ambulances,

and many prisoners, losing 1 man killed, 9 wounded, and several horses killed. April 9, we moved out early toward the enemy; charged the left of the enemy’s line, capturing several prisoners and horses, losing 2 men wounded, and several horses killed; were charging the enemy when the order came to stop firing, as they had given indication of a surrender; remained in line of battle all day on Clover Hill, where we encamped for the night. April 10, moved back, marching all day, and encamped near Prospect Station. The 11th marched all day, and encamped near Rice’s Station. The 12th marched all day; reached Burke’s Station and encamped for the night. April 13, marched all day; reached within one mile of Nottoway Court-House and encamped. On the 14th, 15th, and 16th remained in the same camp.

I have the honor to be, respectfully,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Regiment.

Captain M. A. STONE,
Acting Assistant Inspector-General.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLVI, Part 1 (Serial Number 95), pp. 1140-1141
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply