≡ Menu

OR XLVI P1 #61: Report of Major Henry F. Chew, 12th NJ, Mar 29-Apr 9, 1865

No. 61. Report of Major Henry F. Chew, Twelfth New Jersey Infantry.1

April 10, 1865.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this regiment from the 28th [29th] ultimo to the present:

On the morning of 28th [29th] of March broke camp near Petersburg and moved to the left, on the Vaughan road, to position near Hatcher’s Run. Lay here until about 7 o’clock on morning of 29th [30th], when this regiment was detailed to corduroy a road leading from Hatcher’s Run to the Vaughan road; worked at this until evening of April 1, when rejoined the brigade, then lying at the Lewis house. Next morning (2nd), in conjunction with the brigade, moved to the left of the army, beyond the boudton plank road; remained here until 10 a. m., when marched up the road to within a short distance of Petersburg. About 2 p. m. moved along the South Side Railroad to a station (name

unknown) and lay there during the night. On morning of 3rd marched to within a short distance of Petersburg; thence retracing our steps moved to Moravian Church. Lay there during the night, and on the morning of the 4th moved toward the Danville railroad and halted for the night. On the morning of the 5th instant moved on, and in afternoon arrived near and took position near the Danville railroad, where remained during the night. On the 6th moved to attack the enemy at or near Amelia Court-House, but were not engaged during the day; halted for the night about seven miles from Amelia Court-House. Next morning (7th) pushed the enemy down to and across the Lynchburg railroad; found them posted at a high bridge, where we attacked and drove them from thence to Farmville, where the regiment was deployed as skirmishers on the extreme left of the division, to the right of the railroad; were ordered to advance, which was done, and drove the enemy from his position, and halted on the Richmond road, where rejoined the brigade and moved up on the right of the First Division, Second Army Corps; was then placed on picket, where remained all night. On morning of 8th continued pursuit of the enemy down the Buckingham road and halted for the night about six miles from New Buckingham. On morning of 9th continued the march down the Buckingham road and halted near Clover Hill, where surrender of the rebel army took place.

Hoping that the above will prove satisfactory, I am, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Major, Commanding.

Assistant Adjutant-General.

N. B. – I append the nominal list of casualties.*


*Embodied in table, p. 583.



  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLVI, Part 1 (Serial Number 95), pp. 770-771
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply