≡ Menu

OR XLII P1 #274: Reports of Lieutenant Colonel Augustus W. Rollins, 7th NH, Sept 28-Oct 7, 1864

No. 274. Reports of Lieutenant Colonel Augustus W. Rollins, Seventh New Hampshire Infantry, of operations September 28-October 7.1

Laurel Hill, Va., October 13, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Seventh Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers in the recent actions north of the James River:

Striking camp, near Pitkin’s Station, at 3 p. m. on the 28th ultimo, the regiment marched to Deep Bottom, halting inside the fortifications at 2 a. m. of the 29th. Moving out at daylight on the New Market road, the regiment occupying the left of the Second Brigade, Terry’s division, line of battle was formed, and the troops advanced upon the enemy’s works at New Market Heights, which offered but slight resistance, their artillery being withdrawn as the skirmishers advanced. One man alone was wounded, while the regiment was crossing a ravine and brook. Marching on toward Richmond we halted during the forenoon just outside the enemy’s second line, then abandoned by them, near Laurel Hill. At about 3 p. m. we were marched up the Darbytown road to within about three miles of the city of Richmond, returning during the evening to the vicinity of Laurel Hill. The next day the regiment was moved about half a mile to the left, immediately outside the enemy’s abandoned line, which had been temporarily altered and reversed. On the 1st of October the regiment took part in a reconnaissance toward Richmond, and being deployed as skirmishers advanced under a sharp artillery fire to within about one mile and a half of the city, and within a few hundred yards of its defenses, where we

halted in a position screened by the woods and rising ground until ordered to fall back. We marched back inside the breast-works that night. The loss that day was 6 wounded and 11 missing. Nothing further of moment occurred until October 7, when, the enemy being reported as driving in the cavalry on the right, the brigade was moved to a point just beyond the fortified line, its left connecting with them. The enemy opened briskly with artillery and musketry, which did but little injury in the regiment, passing over the breast-works to the left. Toward noon a line of battle advanced rapidly against us, but the fire of our line was so destructive as to stop them almost immediately after it was opened. Many of the enemy came in and surrendered in preference to retreating. My horse being shot under me injured my foot and leg in falling in such a manner as to oblige me to go to the rear, and the regiment remained under the command of the senior captain. The casualties during the engagement were 3 killed, 15 wounded. During the afternoon the regiment was moved out to the front about a mile, but being a part of the reserve did not again encounter the enemy. It returned during the night to the position at which it had fought, and still remains there intrenching.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel Seventh New Hampshire Volunteers.

Lieutenant E. LEWIS MOORE,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLII, Part 1 (Serial Number 87), pages 726-727
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply