≡ Menu

OR XLII P1 #222: Report of Captain Adelbert B. Twitchell, 7th ME Btty, Aug 1-Oct 31, 1864

Numbers 222. Report of Captain Adelbert B. Twitchell, Seventh Maine Battery, of operations August 1 – October 31.1


Near Poplar Spring Church, Va., November 5, 1864.

LIEUTENANT: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of my battery from August 1 to October 31, 1864:

My guns remained in position, near the Taylor house, and beyond the Norfolk railroad, in the position occupied for forty-seven consecutive days previous, until August 4, when they were relieved and went into park. Remained in park until Sunday evening. August 14, when they were ordered into position at Fort Hell to relieve Captain Mink’s battery, of the Fifth Corps. Friday morning, August 19, at 1 a. m., the enemy opened upon our position, and kept up a sharp fire for about an hour of unusual rapidity and accuracy, during which one gun was disabled by being struck by a 32-pounder shell on the cheek and trunnion of left side, rendering it unfit for use; also, one man was slightly wounded. My guns were ordered out of position before daylight to await marching orders, and remained in park near the Avery house until Wednesday, the 24th. On the afternoon of that day received orders to join the Third Division near the Weldon railroad. August 25, marched with the division to the support of the Second Corps, near Reams’ Station. Returned to camp near the Gurley house during the night. Saturday morning, August 27, moved and went into park near the Aiken house, where my battery remained until September 9, when my guns were put into position in a redoubt on the plank road near the Williams house. On the evening of September 28, received orders to be ready to move at 3 a. m. on the following morning. Moved as far as the Gurley house; remained in park during the day and night. At 12 m., Friday, September 30, passed the Yellow Tavern and halted at the Peebles house. My guns were ordered into position just before dark to the left of Fort McRae; were withdrawn during the evening. Saturday morning, October 1, my guns went into position

at the Peebles house, and remained during the day and night. Sunday morning, the 2nd, moved out and took up a new position near the Pegram house about noon, under a brisk fire of artillery, in which two horses were killed and the limber of one of my guns temporarily disabled. About 2 p. m. October 4 the enemy opened briskly with artillery, at the same time advancing a line of infantry, which pressed back our skirmishers. My guns replied with spirit, and continued until the firing of the enemy ceased. October 5, about 10 p. m. had orders to move my guns into Fort Welch, in which position they have since remained, with the exception of the right section, which occupied Fort Gregg for a few days previous to October 26.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Captain, Commanding Seventh Maine Battery Veteran Volunteers.


Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, Artillery Brigadier, Ninth Army Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLII, Part 1 (Serial Number 87), pages 599-600
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply