≡ Menu

OR XLII P1 #103: Report of Lieutenant Colonel Francis Price, 7th NJ, October 1-5, 1864

Numbers 103. Report of Lieutenant Colonel Francis Price, Seventh New Jersey Infantry, of operations October 1-5.1

October 7, 1864.

SIR: In compliance with circular, dated October 7, 1864, from headquarters Third Brigade, Third Division, Second Corps, I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by my command (Seventh Regiment New Jersey Volunteers and Fifty Battalion New Jersey Volunteers) in the late movement west of the Weldon railroad:

My command, then consisting of the Seventh New Jersey Volunteers, Fifth Battalion New Jersey Volunteers, and Eleventh Massachusetts Battalion, comprising the infantry garrison of Fort Division, on the Jerusalem plank road, was relieved by a portion of the Third Brigade, Second Division, Second Corps (Colonel Smyth, First Delaware Volunteers, commanding), at about 7 a. m. on the 1 st

Instant. Pursuant to instructions I marched to the trestle bridge on the Weldon branch railroad, at the point where the Weldon crosses the Norfolk railroad, and joined the balance of the brigade. Here I remained until about 3 p. m., when the Seventh Regiment and Fifth Battalion New Jersey Volunteers were embarked upon the cars and transported to the Yellow House, on the Weldon road. Disembarking, i marched on the road leading toward the Poplar Grove Church, passed the same, and encamped for the night three-quarters of a mile beyond it. My command was under arms at 5.30 a. m. on the 2nd instant, according to orders. About 9 a. m. moved with the brigade to the support of Brigadier-General Pierce, commanding Second Brigade, Third Division,

Second Crops. Advancing in line of battle through a thick wood, I came in view of the enemy’s works. Arriving near a small road running parallel with the rebel intrenchments I was ordered to move up the road by the flank. I reported to General Pierce, was ordered into line of battle, and them moved forward on the enemy’s works, which seemed to be defended by a small number of cavalry. No resistance of any account was offered to the attack and works were soon occupied by my command and the One hundred and twentieth new York Volunteers. After a short delay skirmishers were thrown forward and the line was again advanced, arriving and halting in front of a second line of the enemy’s works. Nothing of importance occurred here, and at about 4 p. m. the line was withdrawn and retired to our first line of works of October 5, when, with the brigade. I marched back to Fort Davis and occupied the same position that I did previous to the movement.

The following are the casualties: Fifth New Jersey Volunteers, killed, Privates George Adams and John Luckmeyer (accidentally); wounded, Dennis M. Kaine (slightly). Seventh New Jersey Volunteers, wounded, Private William Lawson (severely).

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding.

ASST. ADJT. General, 3rd Brigadier, 3rd DIV., 2nd ARMY CORPS.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLII, Part 1 (Serial Number 87), pages 402-403
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply