≡ Menu

OR XLII P1 #95: Report of Captain James Miller, 105th PA, October 26-28, 1864

Numbers 95. Report of Captain James Miller, One hundred and fifth Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations October 26-28.1


LIEUTENANT: In compliance with circular from headquarters Second Army Corps, dated October 29, I have the honor to report that on the morning of the 27th instant, about 4 o’clock, this regiment moved with the brigade from field at Weldon railroad near Yellow House (where we bivouacked during the night of the 26th); marched in a westerly direction, halting frequently; passed through first line of the enemy’s works, halted in field in their rear for a short time, then moved with the brigade along White Oak road, passed Dalton’s Saw-Mill, and halted in field at Boydton plank road in rear of battery, where we remained about two hours, then moved with the brigade by the right flank to rear of section of artillery in corn-field, under fire from the enemy’s artillery, where we remained about one hour. Were then moved by the right flank into skirt of woods on right of field to support skirmish line, which was then being driven back. Formed line parallel with the

field, when the enemy charged our line and were gallantly repulsed along our entire front. They then moved around our right flank, which was unprotected, formed line of battle in the field in our rear, and poured a destructive fire on our line, killing the two senior officers of the regiment (Capts. John C. Conser and C. E. Patton). Our regiment, being almost surrounded and considerably decimated by the enemy’s fire, was compelled to break through their line to prevent being captured. A large number of our men were captured and disarmed, but a portion of them succeeded in escaping to our lines. Our colors were also captured by the enemy; being surrounded there was no possibility of getting them away. The regiment then fell back and formed line on road at right angles with Boydton plank road. We were then ordered on picket in woods in front of brigade, where we remained until about 1 a. m. 28th instant; were then moved with the brigade along White Oak road.

Our casualties during the day was 2 commissioned officers killed, 2 enlisted men killed, 18 enlisted men wounded, and 34 enlisted men missing.

The officers and men all behaved admirably under the circumstances. Respectfully submitted.


Captain, Commanding Regiment.

Lieutenant C. W. FORRESTER,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, 2nd Brigadier, 3rd Div., 2nd Army Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLII, Part 1 (Serial Number 87), pages 382-383
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply