≡ Menu

OR XLII P1 #51: Report of Major Isaac W. Starbird, 19th ME, October 26-28, 1864

No. 51. Report of Major Isaac W. Starbird, Nineteenth Maine Infantry, of operations October 26-28.1


SIR: I have the honor to present the following report of the movements of the Nineteenth Maine Regiment during the late engagement:

October 26, left bivouac near Fort Bross at 2.30 p.m.; marched to and across the Weldon railroad and bivouacked for the night at 9 p.m. On the morning of the 27th left bivouac near Weldon railroad and marching in a westerly direction found the enemy in a slightly fortified position on the west side of Hatcher’s Creek. The regiment was placed in position in the second line of battle, which advancing carried the works, capturing a few prisoners. We afterward marched by the flank to [Burgess’] Mill, where a portion of the regiment was sent on picket, capturing a major belonging to the Confederate army. On leaving this place two companies were thrown out as flankers, and the march continued to and across the Boydton plank road, where we formed line of battle on the extreme left of the line, and exposed to artillery in front and rear. The line then advanced in good order, and occupied a new position on the left of the plank road in an open field exposed to a murderous fire of shot and shell, and at one time almost completely surrounded by infantry. Under these trying circumstances the regiment held the position with creditable coolness and courage. About 5 p.m. the regiment was moved to the right, supporting a portion of the Third Brigade. Soon after an attack was made on our right, when four

companies of the regiment were ordered to that point; seven companies remained. Thus the regiment remained until after dark, when the entire regiment joined the brigade on the plank road. We then formed a line on the plank road, throwing out pickets in front and rear. About 12 o’clock at night left the plank road and marched back to their Hatcher’s Creek, where we remained until 10 a.m. October 28, at which time the regiment was ordered to occupy the works on the creek captured the previous day, holding the road until the division filed past, when it joined the column, and continued the march to near Fort Bross, at which place it arrived at 5 p.m. October 28, 1864. During the engagement the regiment lost 1 man killed, 4 men wounded, and 1 supposed taken prisoner.

Respectfully submitted.


Major, Commanding Regiment.

Captain RYERSON,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, First Brigade, Second Army Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLII, Part 1 (Serial Number 87), pages 306-307
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply