≡ Menu

OR XLII P1 #36: Report of Lieutenant Simon Pincus, 66th NY, August 22-26, 1864

Numbers 36. Report of Lieutenant Simon Pincus, Sixty-sixth New York Infantry, of operations August 22-26.1

August 28, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to report, in compliance with orders received from Fourth Brigade headquarters, the report of operations from the 22nd to 26th:

We reached the Weldon railroad on the 22nd of August, about 4 p.m. The Third Brigade commenced tearing up the track and destroying the road. We moved toward Reams’ Station and commenced to destroy the road until dark, when the regiment received orders to go on picket which was established on the left of the road. The next morning (the 23rd) the picket-line was drawn in and deployed on the other side of the road. About 2 p.m. we moved by the left flank to within about a mile of Reams’ Station; there the regiment was drawn in and joined the brigade. After resting an hour the regiment was deployed along the road to keep the fires burning. About 5 p.m. we marched to the station and occupied the breast-works that night until next day. The 24th the brigade was moved outside of the works and advanced in line of battle about two miles above the station. About 10 a.m. the regiment received orders to go as picket support for the brigade. We staid until dark, when Lieutenant Root, aide on Fourth Brigade, staff drew us in and marched back to the brigade behind the works near the station, where we remained until about 3 a.m. We sent a lieutenant and five men on picket. The 25th, about 10 a.m. the regiment was ordered to throw up works, which they did

until 1 p.m., when the regiment marched to the works on the road, expecting an attack from the enemy. About 3 p.m. the enemy charged on our works and were repulsed. The regiment lost one man wounded in that charge. About 5 p.m. the enemy opened on the works with their batteries which soon ceased, when the enemy again charged en masse. The regiment staid behind the works until the right of the line gave way; in our front the enemy was severely punished. The right of the enemy’s charging line extended to about the left of the regiment. The One hundred and forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, which was on our left, fired to a right oblique and cut the enemy so badly that they started to run back, but seeing their left (the enemy’s) over the works pushed forward again. The distance was no more than eight yards between us and the enemy. After the regiment was forced to retreat, which they did to the bank of the railroad, where they rallied and returned the fire of the enemy, but were forced to retreat still farther on account of the enemy on our flank. The fighting was kept up until dark. The casualties during the day were 3 wounded and 17 missing. The regiment was scattered. At dark they were formed again, and about 9 p.m. marched back to the direction of the Jerusalem plank road, and by 3 a.m. on the 26th reached a point on the road about half a mile from Williams’ house; then all stragglers joined us but those reported missing. We rested there all day.

Very respectfully,


Lieutenant, Commanding Sixty-sixth New York Volunteers.

Captain A. R. CHACE,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, 4th Brigadier, 1st Div., 2nd Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLII, Part 1 (Serial Number 87), pages 279-280
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply