≡ Menu

OR XLII P1 #32: Reports of Colonel George T. Egbert, 183rd PA, August 14-20 and December 9-10, 1864

Numbers 32. Reports of Colonel George T. Egbert, One hundred and eighty-third Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations August 14-20 and December 9-10.1

October 10, 1864.


Landed about daylight Sunday, August 14, 1864. Advanced and took position about one mile and a half from the river, where we lay until about 4 p.m. of the 15th. Moved to the right and lay in support of a section of a battery; had one man wounded. About 5 p.m. had orders to charge battery of the enemy; order afterward countermanded. After night threw up a line of works and remained until morning, when we moved back a short distance and remained until about 11 a.m. We then moved with the brigade to Stony Hill, threw up works and occupied the position until next morning. Marched out Charles City road toward White’s Tavern in support of the Second Cavalry Division. About noon the regiment, deployed as skirmishers, advanced; met the enemy in force. After a short engagement the regiment fell back to the brigade, which engaged the enemy, and were compelled to retire on account of superior numbers. Casualties were, 1 enlisted man killed, 10 enlisted men wounded, 2 commissioned officers and 46 enlisted men missing. Marched back and joined division same day and remained with it without being further engaged. Recrossed the river on the night of the 20th.

All of which is respectfully submitted.


Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding.

[Captain CALDWELL.]


*For portion of report here omitted, see Vol. XL, Part I, p. 346.


December 10, 1864.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by One hundred and eighty-third Pennsylvania Volunteers in the late movement:

The regiment moved with the brigade on the morning of December 9, and formed line of battle in a field near [Hatcher’s] Run. The regiment did not take part in the charge and capture of the works across the run, but sent out 118 men on picket duty to guard the left flank. The right of my line, connecting with One hundred and fortieth Pennsylvania Volunteers, remained during the night and next day until about 2 p.m., when the enemy charged upon the works captured the day previous. By order of the brevet brigadier-general commanding brigade, the picket-line was withdrawn and the regiment moved back with the brigade without having been engaged or meeting with any casualties.

Very respectfully,


Colonel, Commanding.

[Captain McALLISTER,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, First Brigade.]


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XLII, Part 1 (Serial Number 87), pages 275-276
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply