≡ Menu

OR XL P1 #253: Report of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas A. Henderson, 7th NH, June 16, 1864

Numbers 253. Report of Lieutenant Colonel Thomas A. Henderson, Seventh New Hampshire Infantry, of operations June 16.1

Near Bermuda Hundred, Va. June 1864.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Seventh New Hampshire Volunteers in the action of June 16:

At about 7 a.m. the regiment, together with the Third New Hampshire, proceeded to the works left by the enemy in the open field opposite Batteries 4 and 5. At about 8 o’clock the regiments, by order of Brigadier-General Foster, moved to the right and then advanced a considerable distance, forming line of battle along the edge of certain woods. Soon after the regiments were moved forward on the road leading from Bermuda Hundred to the Richmond and Petersburg turnpike. Advancing by the right flank along this road, the skirmishers of the enemy were encountered in the woods near a small shop or shed. A

line of battle was formed and considerable skirmishing ensued. By order of General Foster the regiment was moved back, first, a distance of some 100 yards, and shortly after still farther back beyond a ravine, the enemy’s skirmishers following and the enemy appearing in force, both in front and on the flanks. Remaining in this position for some time, by order of General Foster, the Third New Hampshire moved to the right and advanced to connect with the left of Colonel Howell’s brigade and the Seventh New Hampshire, formed on the left of the Third New Hampshire, and proceeded to engage the enemy, who appeared in front with a strong skirmish line and indications of a large force behind it. After about an hour, the enemy appearing in force on the left flank, by order of General Foster, the regiment was withdrawn a short distance to a line of rifle-pits abandoned by the enemy, and after remaining here a short time the regiment was withdrawn still farther to another abandoned line of the enemy’s works, and from thence still farther to the edge of a piece of woods, where a line of battle was formed, the right of the Seventh New Hampshire resting on the road and joining the left of the Third New Hampshire. In this position the line was vigorously attacked by the enemy, but the regiment held its ground. Skirmishing continued till sunset, at about which time, by order of General Foster, the regiment was moved to the rebel works, where it had been stationed early in the morning, as a reserve for that portion of the picket-line. The regiment remained in this place till about 1 a.m. to-day, when it was relieved and returned to camp. I append hereto a list of the casualties which occurred during the day.

I am, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieutenant-Colonel Seventh New Hampshire Volunteers, Commanding

Captain P. A. DAVIS,

Assistant Adjutant-General.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1 (Serial Number 80), pages 688-689
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply