≡ Menu

OR XL P1 #241: Report of Colonel William Wells, 1st VT Cav, June 22-July 3, 1864

Numbers 241. Report of Colonel William Wells, First Vermont Cavalry, of operations June 22-July 3.1

Near White House Landing, Va., July 3, 1864.

LIEUTENANT: In compliance with instructions from brigade headquarters I have the honor to submit the following report of the movements of my regiment from the 22nd of June to the 3rd of July, 1864:

Broke camp at 2.30 a.m. on the 22d; marched in the rear of brigade during the day; were attacked at railroad crossing at Reams’ Station

by cavalry and artillery force of the enemy; held him in check from 11 a.m. until dark, with but slight loss. Bivouacked at 11.30 near Dinwiddie Court-House. 23d, marched at 3 a.m.; reached Wilson’s Station at 7 a.m. Were engaged in destroying railroad track between Wilson’s and Blacks and Whites up to 12 m. Dismounted and went on skirmish line near Nottoway Court House at 2 p.m. Held our position until ordered back at 3 a.m. on the 24th. Our loss was considerable. Marched about 5 a.m. Reached Hungarytown at 9 a.m., Meherrin Station at 2 p.m., Keysville at 7.30 p.m., where we bivouacked. We were engaged destroying track all of the 24th. 25th, marched at 5 a.m. In the afternoon were ordered in advance of brigade to destroy railroad track on Richmond and Danville road. Were some employed until dark, when rejoined brigade about 8 p.m. 26th, moved about; 2 a.m.; arrived at Little Roanoke River about 4 a.m.; reached Christianville about 12 m. Bivouacked near Meherrin River at 8 p.m. 27th, marched at sunrise and moved all day, bivouacking near Lawrenceville 9 p.m. 28th, moved at 3 a.m., crossing the Nottoway River 12 m. Were ordered in front of brigade, dismounted and went on skirmish line near Stoney Creek Station about dark. Held the position we took under very heavy fire of the enemy until about 2 a.m. 29th, when we took up a new position, throwing up breast-works and sustaining our line under heavy fire for some time, but were finally forced back by superior numbers of the enemy. The regiment suffered great loss during this night’s and morning’s engagements. After falling back moved to Reams’ Station. Left there about 1 p.m., moving south and crossing the Nottoway about the middle of the night. 30th, crossed Petersburg and Gaston railroad about sunrise, moved to Nottoway River, and crossed Peters’ Bridge about 3 p.m. Passed through Littleton about dark, reached Waverly Station 2 a.m. 1st of July, Blackwater 3 a.m., and reached Cabin Point about 1 p.m., where remained on picket until 3 a.m. July 2, when I moved to this camp, arriving here about 4 p.m.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Colonel, Commanding First Vermont Cavalry.

Lieutenant TAYLOR,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, Second Brigadier, Third Div., Cav. Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1 (Serial Number 80), pages 651-652
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply