≡ Menu

OR XL P1 #166: Report of Captain Charles W. White, 4th ME Btty, June 12-July 29, 1864

No. 166. Report of Captain Charles W. White, Fourth Maine Battery, Artillery Brigade, of operations June 12-July 29.1



On the 12th [June] the battery went into position on the right of a line of works thrown up to protect the withdrawal of the troops from the front preparatory to a flank movement toward the James. We remained in position until all of the troops had been withdrawn from the front, and at 12 o’clock at night [12th] we quietly moved from the works and commenced our march for the Chickahominy, which we crossed at Jones’ Bridge in the afternoon.

On the 14th marched all day; camped at night near Charles City Court-House. Next morning we crossed the James and went into park and remained until the night of the 16th, when we marched for Petersburg and went into position near the city about dark on the 17th. Threw up breast-works during the night. Next morning we opened on the enemy and burnt a house in which sharpshooters were covered and were much annoying our skirmish line. Remained in that position all day the 19th and 20th.

On the night of the 21st the battery went into a fort near the Appomattox and relieved Battery H, First Ohio Artillery. We found the fort to be very weak, and immediately obtained a detail of fifty men. They, with the aid of our cannoneers, strengthened the work very much. Early the next morning the sharpshooters opened on us, and being only


+For portion of report [here omitted] covering operations from May 4 to June 12, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p.758.


a short distance away, annoyed us very much. We were engaged nearly all of the time during the day, and fired as fast as the sharpshooters would permit as to load our pieces. We expended 200 rounds of ammunition; had 1 man killed and 1 wounded, 1 horse killed and 1 wounded. At night the battery was relieved and we marched with our corps to the left of the army, and went into position the next day on the extreme left flank of the line. We remained in position the next day on the extreme left flank of the line. We remained in position the 23rd and until dark the 24th, when were relieved and went into camp. From the 25th to the 29th of June we remained in camp. On the 29th marched to Reams’ Station. 30th, remained in park near the station.

July 1, we returned from Reams’ Station and went into the camp occupied by us before we marched to the station. From the 2nd to the 7th remained in camp. On the 7th moved a short distance to the left, and occupied a fort on the left flank of the line, but were relieved in the afternoon and returned to camp. On the 9th marched to City Point; arrived there on the morning of the 10th, at 7 o’clock. From the 10th to the 13th remained in camp near City Point. On the 13th embarked on transports at City Point for Baltimore. Arrived in Baltimore on the afternoon of the 15th; camped for the night in the streets near the landing. Next morning early moved through the city and took the cars for Washington; arrived there at dark, and marched to Camp Barry and camped for the night. Next day, the 17th, moved from Camp Barry at 4 p.m. to Seventh-street Wharf. There we embarked in transports for City Point. On account of the roughness of the weather did not arrive at City Point until the afternoon of the 20th. We immediately disembarked and went into camp near City Point, where we remained until the 26th. On the 26th, at 4 p.m., [marched] to near Petersburg and went into camp in rear of the Ninth Corps, and remained there until the night of the 29th, when we moved into position in front of Petersburg.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Captain, Commanding Battery.


Chief of Artillery, Sixth Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1 (Serial Number 80), pages 513-514
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply