≡ Menu

OR XL P1 #145: Report of Lieutenant James B. Hazelton, Btty E 1st NY Lt Arty, July 11-30, 1864

Numbers 145. Report of Lieutenant James B. Hazelton, Battery E, First New York Light Artillery, of operations July 11-30.1

August 12, 1864.

LIEUTENANT: In accordance with requirements of Special Orders, Numbers 209, August 5, 1864, headquarters Army of the Potomac, I have the honor to report as follows as regards the participation of Light Company E, First New York Artillery, since its reorganization under my command and assignment to the temporary service of Coehorn mortar battery previous to and during the late assault upon the enemy’s works near Petersburg, Va.:

I have the honor to report that I occupied position selected by Major R. H. Fitzhugh upon right of Fifth Corps line in front of Petersburg, Va., upon the 11th day of July, 1864. During the evening of the 11th and the following day I was engaged in throwing up works. At 8.30 p.m. of the 12th I received orders from headquarters Fifth Corps placing me under command of Brigadier-General Ayres, commanding Second Division, Fifth Corps, and was by General Ayres placed under direction of Colonel Kitching, commanding brigade. Reported to Colonel Kitching and received instructions to open fire and continue it at intervals during the night, as the enemy were reported to be constructing a heavy work in Colonel Kitching’s front. During the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th instant continued to fire whenever the enemy opened their mortars from my front upon our troops or attempted the strengthening of their works. Upon the 15th fired one of the

enemy’s limbers or small magazines. Upon the 18th received orders from Fifth Corps headquarters relieving me from the command of Brigadier-General Ayres and placing me under Brigadier-General Cutler, commanding Fourth Division, Fifth Army Corps, as my position was upon General Cutler’s line. The enemy’s mortar battery remaining inactive, and there being no apparent effort on the part of the enemy to strengthen their fortifications in my front, did not open fire again until the 30th. Upon the 23rd was, by Special Orders, Numbers 179, headquarters Fifth Army Corps, returned to the command of Colonel Wainwright, commanding Artillery Brigade, and by him, upon the 29th, placed under the supervision of Major R. H. Fitzhugh. Received orders from Major Fitzhugh to open fire as noon as the mine should be sprung upon the front of the Ninth Corps line upon the morning of the 30th, which I did, continuing to fire during the day as often as the enemy opened from their mortar battery in my front, as per directions of Captain Mink, who succeeded Major Fitzhugh.

I have the honor to report no casualties in the command from the time of taking position to the time of being ordered to return to my old camp, August 2, 1864.

Respectfully submitted.


First Lieutenant, First New York Light Artillery.

Lieutenant FORD. MORRIS,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, Artillery Brigade, Fifth Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1 (Serial Number 80), pages 487-488
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply