≡ Menu

OR XL P1 #55: Report of Captain James F. Weaver, 148th PA, June 12-July 30, 1864

No. 55. Report of Captain James F. Weaver, One hundred and forty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry.1




Moved immediately to the left after night-fall June 12, marched all night, and crossing the Chickahominy at Long Bridge about 9 a. m. on the 13th reached the James River at Wilcox’s Landing. The march was very rapid and harassing on the men; they were much exhausted. Bivouacked for the night. Remained quiet during the next day.

On the night of the 14th were conveyed across the river on transports. Moved a few miles and bivouacked for the night, where we remained until 12 m. of the 15th, then made a rapid march toward Petersburg, and about 2 o’clock halted in front of the town.

On the morning of the 16th moved to the left and went into position; greater part of the regiment on picket-line.  In the evening advanced and attacked the enemy’s works, but were repulsed. Casualties: Colonel Beaver was severely wounded; killed, 3 enlisted men; wounded, 3 commissioned officers and 6 enlisted men; missing, 10 enlisted men.

On the 17th the regiment moved to the right and occupied front works.

On the 18th Major Forster was severely wounded while in command of the skirmish line. About 9 p. m. on the 20th was relieved by the Ninth Corps and returned a short distance to camp in the rear.

June 21, moved to the left of the general line and, taking position near the Weldon railroad, put up works. Another line of works was erected during the night. Remained in the last-named position until 11 o’clock of the 22d, when the regiment moved forward into the road in front of our works and formed a line. This position had not been held for move than an hour before the enemy came in upon our left flank and rear. The brigade on the left and the left of the Fourth Brigade gave way in confusion. Colonel Fraser, commanding brigade, gave orders to move in as good order as possible and occupy the works alluded to above. The enemy pressed our rear and flank severely, advancing rapidly and pouring a galling fire into the rear of the column. After gaining the works the regiment was reformed and was ordered in reserve. Late in the evening the regiment was ordered to report to Lieutenant-Colonel Broady, division officer of the day, who deployed it in front of the works and ordered it to advance into the road. Moved some 400 yards and were halted, where the line remained until morning, when they were advanced within sight of the enemy’s works.

On the 24th the regiment rejoined the brigade inside the works, where it remained until the 12th of July, when it again moved to the left, leveling. During the day occupied works put up by Sixth Corps. In the evening advanced about three miles on the Jerusalem plank road; remained until midnight, and then returned to position occupied during the day previous.

On the morning of the 13th moved to the right some six or eight miles, where we remained until the 26th, when we marched in the direction of City Point. Crossed the Appomattox at Point of Rocks and the James River at Jones’ Neck and bivouacked on the north side of the river under cover of a wood.


* For portion of report (here omitted) covering operations from May 3 to June 12, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p. 427.


At 7 o’clock on the 27th advanced in line of battle; took position under the crest of a hill. The regiment was then deployed as skirmishers to protect the right flank. The enemy here threw a number of shell. In about an hour rejoined regiment. During the afternoon the regiment deployed as flankers, but as the connections were complete it rejoined the brigade. During the evening advanced and took up a new position in the wood. Heavy firing on the right of the line caused a rapid move in that direction but soon returned. Regiment went on picket in the evening, and did not rejoin brigade until the next evening. Put up strong works and remained there until the evening of the 29th, when regiment again recrossed the James and Appomattox at points above mentioned. Marched all night and by 5 a. m. of the 30th were in rear of the Eighteenth Corps.

On the evening of the 30th moved to the right and occupied the camp occupied prior to our advance over the James River.

I have the honor to be, lieutenant, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Captain, 148th Pennsylvania Volunteers, Commanding Regiment.

Lieutenant J. W. MUFFLY,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. General, 4th Brigadier, 1st Div., 2nd Army Corps.


  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XL, Part 1 (Serial Number 80), pages 363-364
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply