≡ Menu

OR LI P1: Report of Bvt. Lieutenant Colonel Dennis B. Dailey, 6th WI, commanding 147th NY, February 5-10, 1865

Report of Bvt. Lieutenant Colonel Dennis B. Dailey, Sixth Wisconsin Infantry, commanding One hundred and forty-seventh New York Infantry, of operations February 5-10.1

February 13, 1865.

The regiment broke camp and marched at daylight Sunday, the 5th instant. It encountered the enemy at Dabney’s Mill on the 6th instant, and fought him until the ammunition was exhausted. In this engagement 5 officers and 42 men were killed, wounded, and missing. In the heat of the engagement volunteers were called for to accompany General Morrow (commanding brigade) in advance of the line of brigade colors. The following-named men responded promptly: Sergt. Patrick Cashman, Company I, color-bearer, One hundred and forty-seventh New York Volunteers; Sergt. Major William Boyce; Sergt. J. S. McCoy, Company G; Sergt. J. McDonald, Company K; Sergt. Peter Fannon, Company K; Corpl. Voleny Russell, Company H; Corpl. P. Cunningham, Company B; Private William Wilson, Company I. In this engagement every officer and man performed his whole duty. About 5 p. m. the regiment fell back to the line of works in rear, and, marching across Hatcher’s Run, bivouacked for the night. Recrossed the run the morning of the 7th, and marched nearly to the ground occupied by it (the regiment) on the previous day. Here the regiment threw up a line of works and then moved to the left, advancing in line of battle through a heavy piece of woods, when it came in sight of the enemy, who were advantageously posted on a rise of ground. They (the enemy) having a battery in position, the regiment was compelled to fall back to a temporary line of works thrown up by skirmishes, and from this point again advanced, the One hundred and forty-seventh New York Volunteers being in advance of the line a great part of the time. Moved at dark to the right and threw up works, and at about 1 o’clock fell back across Hatcher’s Run. Remained here until 3 p. m. of the 8th instant, when the regiment moved with the brigade on picket on the Halifax

road. It (the regiment) was relieved the 9th instant about 4 p. m. and marched to the north side of the Vaughan road, where it threw up works, remaining here until the morning of the 10th instant, when it marched to the south side of the Vaughan road and chopped timber for corduroy roads. The regiment marched from here at 5 p. m. and arrived at its old camp about 8 p. m.

Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Regiment.



  1. The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume LI, Part 1 (Serial Number 107), pp. 294-295
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply

Next post:

Previous post: