≡ Menu

NP: June 25, 1864 Richmond Examiner: Kautz and His Raiders

Editor’s Note: This article was transcribed by Mark Hinson.

Kautz and His Raiders

All the accounts, by telegraph and otherwise, to the effect that Kautz and his raiders had proceeded towards the High bridge, after destroying Burkeville, appear to have been erroneous. An official telegram from the High bridge, received by the officers of the Danville road yesterday evening, announced that the enemy were yesterday forenoon lying along the line of the Danville road; between Greensburg and Meberrin, and that they had no then sent out any foraging parties.

Greensburg is five miles beyond Burkeville,- Meberrin is six miles further. The enemy is supposed to design marching on the Staunton river and Little Roanoke river bridges, points distant ninety and ninety one and a half miles from the city.

It is possible Kautz & Co. are waiting for the arrival of Hunter, whom they are expecting to join them from Lynchburg.

Sheridan and His Gang- Hampton Harasses Them.

From Lieutenant James Pollard of Lee’s rangers, (Company H) Ninth Virginia, we have an authentic account of Sheridan’s movements  up to one o’clock P.M. On Wednesday, at which time our informant received a painful, but it is believed not a serious wound, in the ankle, and was brought to the city.

On Wednesday morning our forces withdrew from the immediate front of the White House.- Sheridan, that evening perceiving the way to be open, came out of his intrenchments and advanced up the York River railroad to Crump’s cross roads; thence he turned his head of column towards James river by the road that crosses the Chickahominy at Providence Forge bridge. At 2 o’clock, P.M. The last of his men left the White House.

Between 12 and 1 o’clock, Thursday, he began to cross the Forge bridge. Having moved by well known inner lines, our cavalry threw themselves across the enemy’s route on the road leading from Forge bridge to Charles City Court House, and a little before one o’clock P.M. One of our brigades attacked a brigade of the enemy and drove them back two miles upon their main body. Our men then drew off, and Sheridan resumed his march by the road leading to Charles City Court House, and thence to Harrison’s landing. We had nine wounded in this affair, none of them seriously. We know nothing of the loss of the enemy.

It was expected that we would attack the enemy again before he reached the cover of his fleet, but of such an event, if it occurred, we are not informed. It is believed that reinforcements of infantry, artillery and cavalry were sent Sheridan from the Southside, and reached him just after the skirmish we have mentioned.

There was a report yesterday, said to have been brought by a courier, that twenty-five hundred Yankee cavalry were at Walkerton, King and Queen. If this be true, it is part of Sheridan’s force that started toward Gloucester Point and then returned to Walkerton.

In this connection we may state that the yankees have removed nine miles of the rails of the railroad iron from the York River road, from Brumley’s to Dispatch station.

Deep Bottom

Our correspondent at Deep Bottom reports all quiet up to four o’clock yesterday afternoon. The Yankees remain very quiet in their repose near their gunboats.1


  1. “Kautz and His Raiders.” Richmond Examiner. June 25, 1864, p. 2 col. 1
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply