≡ Menu

NP: June 15, 1864 Richmond Examiner: Still Later From the North, June 12

Editor’s Note: This article was transcribed by Jackie Martin.

[SOPO Editor’s Note: Portions of this article not pertaining to the Siege of Petersburg were omitted.]



We have received from A. A. Tentler, mail agent of Law’s brigade, Wilcox’s division, the Washington CHRONICLE of the 12th instant.

This paper contains the FIRST BOARD of the New York stock exchange of the 11th instant, sent to Washington by telegraph.

THE PRICE OF GOLD AT THE FIRST BOARD WAS 199 ¼.  The second board was not given, but there can be little doubt that gold went over 200 at the second board.


Mr. Stanton gives from Washington the following as the latest “official gazette” of the news from the seat of war:

WAR DEPARTMENT, Washington City,

Saturday, June 11, 1864—2 P. M.


Official reports from the headquarters of the army of the Potomac, down to 5 o’clock yesterday evening, detail no movements of importance.

A despatch from General Sherman, dated yesterday, states that our cavalry yesterday (Thursday, 9th) developed the position of the enemy in a line along the hills from Kenesaw to Lost mountain, and we are now marching by the roads towards Kenesaw.

A despatch from General Butler, dated this morning at one o’clock, reports “all quiet along our lines.  Yesterday General Kautz charged the enemy’s works at Petersburg and carried them, penetrating the town, but not being supported by General Gillmore, who had withdrawn his forces without a conflict, General Kautz was obliged to withdraw without further effect.  General Kautz captured forty prisoners and one piece of artillery, which he brought away with him.”

A despatch from General Canby, dated Vicksburg, June 4, states that “General Emory reports that an attempt by Taylor’s force to cross the Atchafalaya had been frustrated, the troops that had crossed dispersed, and a large quantity of commissary stores and clothing captured.

General Burbridge, commanding in Kentucky in a despatch dated yesterday, at Lexington, reports that “after concentrating a force at the mouth of Beaver creek, on Big Sandy, I moved against Morgan’s force in Virginia, west as far as Gladesville.  Morgan, with 2500 men, moved into Kentucky, VIA Whitesburg.  I pursued, and, by marching ninety miles in twenty-four hours, came upon him at Mount Sterling yesterday morning and defeated him.

By stealing fresh horses, he reached Lexington at two o’clock this forenoon.  Our forces held the fort and the rebels did but little damage.  He left here at seven, A. M., for Versailles.  I start in pursuit with a fresh force this morning.

No official report has yet been received from General Hunter.

EDWIN M. STANTON, Secretary of War.1


  1. “Still Later From the North.” Richmond Examiner. June 15, 1864, p. 3 col. 5-6
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Reply