This page of Beyond the Crater: The Siege of Petersburg Online contains newspaper articles from a wide variety of American newspapers for the month of December 1864. Each article pertains in some way to the Siege of Petersburg and has been transcribed exactly as it appeared in whichever newspaper it was published in. Misspellings, grammatical errors, errors in fact, and any other possible errors have not been changed. We hope these articles provide readers with a look at the Petersburg Campaign as Americans read about in it in December 1864.
Note: If you are interested in helping to transcribe newspaper articles at Beyond the Crater: The Siege of Petersburg Online, please use the Contact form and let us know!
- NP: December 3, 1864 Irish-American (NY): 170th N. Y. Vols.,—Irish Legion
- NP: December 5, 1864 Richmond Examiner: Death of Brig. Gen. Archibald Gracie, Dec. 2, 1864
- NP: December 8, 1864 Windham County Transcript: Letter from Grant’s Army, 1st CT Heavy Artillery
- NP: December 9, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: 55th PA at Bermuda Hundred, Second Petersburg and Chaffin’s Farm, May-November, 1864
- NP: December 15, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The USS Dictator Scares Richmond
- NP: December 17, 1864 Irish-American (NY): Monitor Onondaga Engages Battery Dantzler, Nov. 29, 1864
- NP: December 23, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: 110th PA, Thanksgiving at Fort Sedgwick, November, 1864
- NP: December 23, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: 55th PA, Thanksgiving at Fort Burnham, November, 1864
- NP: December 24, 1864 Irish-American (NY): Four Union Ironclads Attack Battery Dantzler, Dec. 5-6