December 23, 1864
Brigadier General William Bartlett assumes command of First Division, Fifth Corps, Army of the Potomac temporarily, as Brigadier General Charles Griffin takes a leave of absence.
Colonel R. S. Mackenzie assumes command of First Division, Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac temporarily, as Brigadier General Frank Wheaton takes a leave of absence.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- CLARK NC: 42nd North Carolina at the Siege of Petersburg
- LT: December 16-23, 1864 Luke and Charles Ostrye
- LT: December 25, 1864 John A. Mayers (99th Pennsylvania)
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #9: Reports of Major General James C. Duane, Corps of Engineers, November 13-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864