December 16, 1864
Grimes’ Division, Second Army Corps, Army of Northern Virginia arrives at the Siege of Petersburg from the Shenandoah Valley.
Artillery skirmish involving Union Fort Rice, Fort Morton, and Fort Avery on the Ninth Corps front.
First Brigade, Second Division, Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac, which had been escorting the Sixth Corps transportation, arrives at the Siege of Petersburg.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- CLARK NC: Wilmington North Carolina Artillery at the Siege of Petersburg
- LT: December 16, 1864 George T. Dudley (50th NY Engineers)
- LT: December 16-23, 1864 Luke and Charles Ostrye
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864