December 3, 1864
The 10th and the 18th US Army Corps are discontinued and the following are organized, and commanded by:
a) 24th US Army Corps – Maj. Gen. Edward O. C. Ord, USA
b) 25th US Army Corps – Maj. Gen. Godfrey Weitzel, USA.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- 150 Years Ago Today: Reorganization of the Army of the James: December 3, 1864
- LT: December 3, 1864 Theodore Lyman
- NP: December 5, 1864 Richmond Examiner: Death of Brig. Gen. Archibald Gracie, Dec. 2, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #247: Reports of Bvt. Major Peter S. Michie, Corps of Engineers, Acting Chief Engineer, Aug 1-Dec 20, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864