November 24, 1864
Thanksgiving Day is observed in the trenches by the Union armies operating against Richmond and Petersburg.
Skirmish near Prince George Court-House, VA, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- 150 Years Ago Today: Skirmish Near Prince George Court House: November 24, 1864
- LT: November 24, 1864 Theodore Lyman
- NP: December 23, 1864 The Bedford Inquirer: 55th PA, Thanksgiving at Fort Burnham, November, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #232: Reports of Brigadier General Henry E. Davies, Jr., commanding 1/2/Cav/AotP, Aug 1-27, Oct 26-29, Nov 24, and Dec 7-12, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864