November 17, 1864
Union pickets along the Bermuda Hundred front near Battery No. 3 were driven in at night, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Artillery duel between Union Fort McGilvery and Confederate batteries across the Appomattox River, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- LT: November 14, 1864 Samuel K. Miller
- LT: November 26, 1864 Samuel K. Miller
- LT: December 5, 1864 Samuel K. Miller
- NP: November 22, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, Nov. 17, 19-21
- OR XL P1 #297: Report of Colonel George K. Griggs, 38th VA, June 17-November 17, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #9: Reports of Major General James C. Duane, Corps of Engineers, November 13-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #231: Report of Asst. Surg. Elias J. Marsh, Surgeon-in-Chief, 2/Cav/AotP, July 30-Dec 12, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #351: Reports of General Robert E. Lee, commanding Army of Northern Virginia, Aug 16-Dec 27, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864