October 31, 1864
The Second (Irish) Brigade and Third Brigade, First Division, Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, are again made separate entities. They had been serving together as the “Consolidated Brigade” for several months.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- 150 Years Ago Today: Return of the Irish Brigade: October 31, 1864
- NP: March 4, 1925 Potsdam NY Courier and Freeman: Orlando P. Benson Diary, 92nd NY, Part 4
- OR LI P1: Report of Asst. Surg. Charles Smart, Medical Inspector, II/AotP, October 1-31, 1864
- OR XL P1 #244: Reports of Colonel Henry L. Abbot, 1st CTHA, commanding Siege Train, June 14-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #6: Itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and Army of the James, August 1-December 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #7: Number 7. Return of Casualties in the Union Forces, Aug. 13-20, 18-21, 25, Sep. 29-30, Oct. 7, 13, 27-28, Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov. Dec. 1864
- OR XLII P1 #12: Reports of Major Benjamin F. Fisher, Chief Signal Officer, AotP, August 1-October 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #224: Report of Captain Edward W Rogers, 19th NY Btty, Aug 1-Oct 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #231: Report of Asst. Surg. Elias J. Marsh, Surgeon-in-Chief, 2/Cav/AotP, July 30-Dec 12, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #362: Reports of Major General Bushrod R. Johnson, commanding Johnson/DNCSV, Aug 2-Dec 31, 1864
- OR XLII P1 #367: Itinerary of Hardaway Light Artillery Battalion, Aug 13-Dec 31, 1864